Got a 20-something leaving home in the new year? Give them a great starter kit for Christmas to get them on their way.
You don’t need to buy an entire saucepan set or a kitchen full of useless gadgets. Buy a few key utensils, a great sauté pan and a baking dish and they will be well on their way to many fine dishes.
- A sauté pan – a larger pan that is wide and shallow and has a lid, and can go from the stovetop to the oven. They will be cooking in this for years, so it is good to invest in a quality one.
- Lasagne dish – perfect for any baked dishes and marinating.
- Chef’s knife – you don’t need to go all out with expensive knives. Go to a quality kitchen shop to buy one that has a comfortable handle and can be sharpened.
- Serrated paring knife – this great all rounder is perfect for slicing tomatoes and everything else. For around $10, they are a great investment.
- Speed peeler – the brands that come from Switzerland are the best ones.
- Fine handheld grater – excellent for ginger, garlic or parmesan. It will be used every day, so good to find one that will last.
- Heatproof silicone spatula – silicone (heat resistant) spatulas are taking the place of wooden spoons. So versatile, they are great for baking and general cooking.
- PlanBuyCook book and recipe app of course! It has fantastic recipes that can be scaled to your household size. Click here to purchase the app or gift it to through the App Store. You will need an email address for their iTunes account.
Happy empty nesting!
Gift the app to your happy home leaver and know they will be able to feed themselves (and you!) when you visit.