XO sauce is a spicy sauce originating from Hong Kong. You can make this simple dish using any minced meat you have available. Steam your rice first as the dish cooks in no time at all.
STIR FRY MINCE WITH XO SAUCE
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 tbsp / 20ml XO sauce (this can be a bit spicy so if serving to younger children add less)
- 3 tbsp / ¼ cup / 60ml soy sauce
- 3 tbsp / ¼ cup / 60ml of water
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of shao hsing (or dry sherry)
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of vegetable oil
- 500g / 1lb of beef. pork or chicken mince
- 1 carrot, grated or diced
- 1 spring onion (scallion), white part finely sliced and green part reserved for slicing and sprinkling on top
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of cold water
- 150g / 5oz of semi soft tofu cut into small cubes
- steamed rice and Asian greens
- In a jug combine the XO sauce, soy sauce, water and shao hsing. Stir and set aside.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the oil and add the mince and brown. Then add the finely sliced white part of the spring onion (scallion) and carrots. Continue to cook for a few minutes then add the sauce.
- Continue to cook and bring to the boil. Mix the cornflour and water together in a separate bowl then add to the meat.
- Stir continuously to allow the cornflour to thicken the dish.
- At this point taste the meat and see if it needs another spoon of XO sauce. (All the brands of this sauce have a different level of heat).
- Add the tofu and green part of the spring onion (scallion) and stir through.
- Serve with rice and steamed greens.
Use the remaining tofu in a simple salad of iceberg lettuce, avocado and a store-bought roast sesame dressing.