This chicken & chorizo braise is a lovely to recipe to double and freeze for an extra meal down the track. This will become a family favourite for sure.
CHICKEN & CHORIZO BRAISE
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 20ml/1tbsp of olive oil
- 600g / 1¼ lb of chicken thigh fillets
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 250g of chorizo (cured)
- 2 tsp of sweet paprika ground
- 150g of roasted red capsicum / pepper (in jar/from deli)
- 1 cup of tomato passata purée
- 100ml / ⅓ cup of white wine (optional)
- 300ml / 1¼ cups of water
- 4 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- 8 kalamata olives
- vegetables or salad to serve
- crusty bread (serving suggestion)
- Heat oil in a saucepan and brown chicken in batches. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan, then add a little water to assist cooking and prevent burning. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chorizo, paprika and [capsicum|red pepper] and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato [passata|purée], wine (if using) and water, then bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to the saucepan. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley and olives. Stir to combine.
- Serve with veggies or salad of your choice. Bread is also a great addition.
If you have a red capsicum/pepper in the refrigerator, you can use that instead of the roasted capsicum in the jar. The roasted capsicum imparts a nice flavour, but use up any fresh capsicum to avoid food waste.