Making your own ice cream is easy and fun. This uses only three ingredients for vanilla ice cream, or you can add extra flavours to suit your taste. Make your own vanilla or chocolate ice cream (or both!) either in popsicles or small bowls.
HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
Makes: 1 litre of ice cream / around 15 popsicles
Prep: 2 mins
Cook time: 15 mins (plus 6 hours freezing time)
- 1 litre of full cream milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence or paste
- 395g of sweetened condensed milk (tinned or in a tube)
- Place the full cream milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan and slowly bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and stir to combine while still on the stove.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool (about an hour).
- Pour into popsicle molds (if you have them) or small bowls and place in the freezer.
- Freeze for around six hours or overnight.
- To loosen from molds, run the popsicles under some warm water, or serve straight from the bowls.
If you want to make some into chocolate ice creams, divide the milk mixture in half before step 4. Then sift 2 tbsp of cocoa powder into one half of the mix, then whisk to combine. It mixes better when warm.
If you have a set of six popsicle molds, just place the remaining mix into small bowls, small coffee cups or ramekins before freezing.