These parmesan savoury biscuits are great as a pre-dinner snack, and another perfect DIY Christmas hamper item. If you are making salty delights in advance, store them in an airtight container.
SAVOURY CHEESE BISCUITS
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins + chilling time 1 hour
Makes: 40 rounds
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 1 tbsp of self raising flour
- ¼ tsp of salt (iodised)
- pinch of cayenne or freshly cracked black pepper
- 60g (½ stick) of unsalted butter (cubed)
- 75g (¾ cup) of parmesan, grated (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp of water, plus extra if required
- Mix the flours, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter to a fine breadcrumb consistency (you could also do this in a mixer or food processor). Watch carefully if using a mixer and remove at ‘breadcrumb’ stage.
- Add the parmesan and the water, and mix until combined. You want a firm dough that is neither crumbly nor wet. Add a little extra water if required.
- Tip onto the bench and shape into a log (about 5cm / 2 inch diameter).
- Wrap in baking/parchment paper and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC / 325ºF / Gas mark 3.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and the paper, then cut into 5mm/¼ inch slices.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking/parchment paper, and cook for 10–15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or packaging as a gift.