Silverbeet is one of those vegetables you spy in the shop and wonder what to make with it. Wonder no longer. This super-tasty risotto is easy to make and a great quick vegetarian meal. The sour cream finishes it off nicely.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 20ml / 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 20 grams / 7oz of butter
- 1 brown/yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 leaves of silverbeet (curly-leaf spinach), washed and stalk removed
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp of light sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the silverbeet/curly-leaf spinach and set aside.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan, then lower the heat and simmer until required.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the silverbeet/curly-leaf spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the saucepan. And mix through the silverbeet/spinach and onion to coat the rice.
- Gradually add a ladleful of hot stock to the rice, stirring continuously until it absorbs. Repeat until all the stock has been added.
- Once the last cup of stock has been added, place a lid on the saucepan and simmer on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir through the sour cream, adjust the seasoning and serve.
You can substitute the silver beet with english spinach or cavolo nero.