The steak sandwich is the ultimate meal for carnivores. And nothing works better with a ‘steak sanga’ than caramelised onions. You can make them in advance and freeze them to cut down the cooking time on this meal by half an hour.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- olive oil for cooking steaks
- 4 x 150g scotch fillet or sirloin/porterhouse steaks
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices of cheese
- 8 slices of bread (sourdough works well)
- 2 cups of rocket, washed
- tomato sauce
- mayonnaise or aioli
- To make the caramelised onions, heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, then add the onions and salt. Stir to coat, then turn the heat down to low and cook for 30 minutes, adding a little water if they begin to stick. They should turn a nice golden colour.
- Heat the barbecue or frypan. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and a little olive oil. Cook to your liking (about 5 minutes each side, then place in an oven tray, cover with foil and rest in a warm place).
- Assemble the sandwiches, place mayonnaise or aioli on one slice of bread, top with rocket, tomato, steak, onions and cheese.
- Cut in half and serve with tomato sauce.
You can make your own aioli by adding some roasted garlic (or grated raw garlic) to mayonnaise along with a squeeze of lemon juice.