Mulligatawny was made famous by Seinfeld’s soup nazi. The recipe is delicious and filling, and a great mid season meal.
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 60 mins
- 20ml/1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 50g / 2 tbsp of tomato paste (concentrate)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp of curry powder, mild
- 1 litre / 4 cups of water
- 1 green apple, grated
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 200g / ½ lb of chicken breast
- 1 tsp of salt (iodised)
- ¼ cup of jasmine rice
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and cook onion, garlic, carrot, celery and ginger for 15 minutes, adding a bit of water to stop it from browning.
- Add tomato paste, tomato and curry powder, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the water, apple, potato, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred the meat and return to the pot.
- Add the rice and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Adjust the consistency by mashing some of the potatoes with the back of a fork in you prefer a thicker soup, or adding a little water if the soup is too thick.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.