We just cannot get enough soup in the colder months, and this chicken and corn soup ticks all the right boxes. A simple combination of ginger, corn and spring onions/scallions with poached chicken, and it also freezes beautifully for additional serves in later weeks or lunches.
CHICKEN AND CORN SOUP
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 200g of chicken breast
- 2 spring onions/scallions
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 litre/11/2 pints of water
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or crushed
- 4 spring onions/scallions (extra), finely sliced
- 1 tbsp of fresh ginger (extra), finely grated
- 2 cobs of corn, husks removed and sliced off the cob
- 2 tsp / 10ml of soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- a piece of white pepper
- In a saucepan, place the chicken breast, whole spring onions/scallions, sliced ginger, and water.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, leaving the chicken breast in the liquid.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the oil and cook sliced spring onions (keep a few aside for garnish). Stir for three minutes over a medium heat, then add the garlic and grated ginger.
- Cook for a further three minutes, adding a few tablespoons of the chicken poaching liquid to help cook the ginger and garlic without burning. Add the corn kernels to the pot, and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove chicken breast from poaching liquid and set aside. Strain the chicken poaching liquid into the spring onion, ginger, garlic and corn pot, then add the soy sauce and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, shred chicken breast and set aside.
- Once soup is cooked, take half the soup out of the pot and blend using a stick blender or food processor.
- Return blended soup to the pot. Add shredded chicken, white pepper, and adjust seasoning if required. If doubling the recipe, allow half to cool to room temperature before freezing for later use.
- Serve with the remaining spring onions/scallions on top.
Get this great recipe and 130+ more to master meal prep and reduce waste using the PlanBuyCook meal planning app. Available for iPhone and iPad here.