This is a fabulous meal no matter what time of the year, as it works equally well in warm and cool weather. Whether your preference is for skin on or off, or to eat it dry or with the broth: the options are endless. A great Fast and Fresh meal to add to your meal plan.
POACHED GINGER CHICKEN
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 2 spring onions, roots removed
- 2cm / 1″ piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons / 20ml of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons / 20ml of shaoxing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 4 chicken marylands
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 spring onions, chopped white part only (plus finely sliced green part for garnish)
- 2 teaspoon of ginger, grated or minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of sriracha sauce
- juice of ½ lime or lemon
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced
- 8 sprigs of fresh coriander (cilantro), optional
- In a large saucepan place the whole spring onions, sliced ginger, whole garlic clove, soy sauce and shao hsing.
- Half fill the pot (at least 2 litres) with water, place on the stove and bring to the boil. Add the chicken marylands to the pot, and bring back to the boil. Skim any scum from the top of the liquid.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on, then turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from the pot and when cool enough to handle, remove bones and skin (optional), and return chicken meat to the pot of stock it was cooked in to stay warm.
- To make the ginger rice, melt the butter in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, add the chopped white part of the spring onion, half the ginger and half the garlic, cook and stir until fragrant ensuring it doesn’t burn.
- Add the rice and salt, then stir to coat the grains in the butter.
- Add 2¼ cups (600ml) of poaching liquid from the pot that the chicken was cooked in. Bring to the boil, place the lid on top and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand with the lid on for a further five minutes.
- To make the sauce, combine 1 cup (250ml) of additional poaching liquid, the sriracha sauce, lemon or lime juice, and the other half of the garlic and ginger in a bowl, and set aside ready to serve.
- To serve, divide the chicken and rice between four plates, then add the cucumber, coriander (if using) and finely sliced green part of the spring onion.
- Serve the sauce separately for individuals to pour over.
Serve with the skin on as pictured if you prefer, or take off as suggested in step 3.
Get a great range of family-friendly recipes on the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available for iPhone and iPad at the App Store. The Plan Buy Cook Book is also available as of 1 January 2020. Pre-order now.