This chick pea curry is a great example of a pantry meal, where most of the ingredients are stored in the pantry. Use frozen spinach if you don’t have any fresh.
CHICK PEA CURRY
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 60 mins
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
- ¼ tsp of turmeric
- 2 tsp of cumin ground
- 2 tsp of coriander ground
- ¼ tsp of chilli ground
- 400g / 14oz of tinned/canned diced tomatoes
- 300ml /1½ cups of water
- 1.2 kg / 42oz of chick peas (tinned), drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 2 cups of baby spinach, washed
- rice of your choice, steamed
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and cook the onion, ginger and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli, and fry for 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of water if it starts to stick.
- Then add the tomotoes and water, and bring to the boil.
- Add the chick peas to the saucepan, then simmer for 40 minutes.
- When ready to serve, add the garam masala and the spinach, and stir through.
- Serve with steamed rice or bread.
If you want to use dried chick peas, soak them overnight and then cook them before you make the curry. Decrease the weight of the chick peas by at least half as the menu uses cooked chick peas from the can.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get all the know how to make meal planning a breeze. Join here – it is FREE.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for iPhone and iPad here.