This chicken enchilada recipe is one of those meals that that whole family will instantly fall in love with. We used a store-bought cooked chicken, but you can also poach your own chicken or use leftovers from a roast. The red rice in this dish is very more-ish!
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH RED RICE
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- ½ brown/yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp of butter
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste/concentrate
- ¾ cup of jasmine rice
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock, boiling
- 400g/14oz of tinned black beans
- ½ store-bought roast chicken, shredded
- 8 soft tortilla wraps
- 750mg/2 jars of mild chunky salsa (or look at PlanBuyCook’s taco recipe for the salsa – it is cheaper than buying a store-bought one)
- 100g / 3 oz of grated cheese
Optional extras to put on top:
- 2 avocados, sliced or diced
- 8 tbsp of sour cream
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Preheat oven to 160ºC degrees /320ºF/Gas mark 2–3
- Place the onion and butter in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until soft.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook until fragrant add tomato paste/concentrate cook for a minute while stirring.
- Add the rice coat the grains in the tomato butter mix then add the hot stock bring to the boil place a lid on top and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes with lid on. Then add the drained rinsed beans and stir through.
- To assemble the enchilada, place 8 enchiladas on the bench top divide the shredded chicken between the 8 enchiladas and put 2 spoons of rice mix on each.
- Roll each, then place them in a baking dish and cover with the tomato salsa. Sprinkle with grated cheese, then place in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- To serve: place two enchiladas on each plate and place the avocado, sour cream and lettuce in the middle of the table and allow people to add this themselves.
This is a generous recipe for four serves, so you will usually have leftovers. These are great for after school snacks or a leftover meal later in the week.