Kids love food on a stick. And a marinade is the most perfect Double-up meal: double the ingredients, freeze half the meat in its marinade for down the track, and cook the other half this week. Also great with beef rump steak. You can cheat by using a store-bought satay sauce for dipping.
Prep time: 20 minutes plus marinating time (overnight or at least 4 hours)
Cook time: 30 minutes
- bamboo skewers / satay sticks
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 2 tsp of sambal oelek
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a pinch of turmeric ground
- 60ml of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 80ml / 4 tbsp of coconut cream
- 600g of chicken thigh fillets, diced
- satay sauce, optional
- rice of your choice, steamed OR vegetables or salad
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes.
- Remove outer layer from lemongrass. Grate the root end, about 3cm / 1 inch length above the stalk.
- Mix the grated lemongrass, samba oelek, garlic, turmeric, soy sauce, brown sugar and coconut cream in a bowl. Add the chicken to coat and thread onto skewers. Pour remaining marinade over the top and refrigerate overnight or for a least four hours.
- If serving with rice, boil or steam rice as per packet instructions.
- Heat the BBQ or a grill plate on your stove to dry hot. Rub the plate or BBQ bars with a little oil and some paper towel. Cook chicken satay sticks until cooked through (about 4–5 minutes a side).
- Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with satay sauce (if using), rice and salad or asian greens.
Double the base ingredients and freeze the other half for use at a later meal.