Kids love play dough, although homemade play dough generally involves gluten. If your child is gluten intolerant or coeliac, use this easy no-cook method for a great result.
GLUTEN-FREE PLAY DOUGH
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 5 mins
Makes: 2 cups of play dough
- 1 cup of rice flour
- ½ cup of cornflour (corn starch)
- ½ cup of salt
- 1 tbsp of cream of tartar
- 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- up to ¾ cup of boiling water
- food colouring or colour gels
- In a large bowl, place the rice flour, cornflour, salt and cream of tartar and mix to combine.
- In a small jug, place the boiling water, vegetable oil and food colouring.
- Pour most of the coloured liquid into the flour bowl (keeping a little in reserve), and mix using a wooden spoon or your hands with kitchen gloves. Ensure you don’t burn yourself.
- Knead the mix until it comes together. If it as a bit crumbly, add some more liquid.
- It should be a nice smooth consistency. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until required.
The cream of tartar tends to make the mix quite stiff. If you leave it out, you may get a softer dough for the kids to play with. The food colouring can make a big difference to the consistency. Add the liquid slowly to the flours to get the right consistency.
Make in half batches if you want two colours.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for tasty meals the whole family will enjoy.
Join our FREE Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.