There is no better side dish than roast potatoes. They are a great accompaniment to roast meat, a barbeque or just about any other meal. Here we show you how to make perfect roast potatoes, every time.
PERFECT ROAST POTATOES
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 40 mins
- large potatoes (at least one per person)
- olive oil
- sea salt (iodised)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- The first step is to peel the potatoes, and then cut them into chunks. I like to cut a regular-sized potato into about 5 or 6 pieces.
- Once they are chopped, you need to par boil them by placing them in a pot, covering them with cold water and then placing on the stove. Bring them to the boil and cook for about 10–15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are on the stove, preheat the oven to around 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 5. Place a baking pan in the oven to heat as the oven heats.
- Once the potatoes are reasonably soft but still holding together, strain them in a colander until they are quite dry and bounce them around a bit to rough-up the edges.
- Then toss the strained potatoes in a bowl of olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover them generously with oil.
- Next pop the oiled and seasoned potatoes in the baking pan in the oven, along with a few cloves of garlic, some sprigs of rosemary and a few nobs of butter.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then toss, and continue cooking to brown on all sides.
- Remove from oven when cooked to your liking. Set aside for a few minutes to cool before serving.