In Italian, orecchiette literally means “little ears”, due to their shape. This combination of broccoli, anchovies and chilli is a nice change to your traditional pasta sauces, and makes a good fast & fresh meal.
BROCCOLI AND ANCHOVY ORECCHIETTE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 100ml / 5 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 3 anchovies, chopped
- 1 cup of panko or wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 320g / 11oz of orecchiette pasta
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- red chilli, sliced or dried chilli flakes
- ½ lemon, zested
- Heat the oil in a large sauté or frying pan and add the onion and garlic cook slowly for 15 minutes over a low heat until soft and golden.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil add the pasta and cook to the packs instructions. Add the broccoli in the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- While the pasta is cooking add the chopped anchovies and breadcrumbs and cook for a couple of minutes.
- When the pasta and broccoli is cooked drain into a colander reserving about half a cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta and broccoli to the breadcrumb mix and stir through add the lemon zest and some of the reserved cooking liquid and chilli if using.
- Serve with a green salad.