Get your Taco Tuesday on this week. Forget the taco kit and make your own taco seasoning and tomato salsa from scratch – it is so easy and preservative and sugar free. Just grab some hard or soft tacos and your favourite fillings – olé!
HOMEMADE TACO MIX
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins or more for better flavour
- 20ml / 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 brown (yellow) onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 500g of beef mince / ground beef
- 1 teaspoon of coriander ground
- 1 teaspoon of cumin ground
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste (tomato concentrate)
- ½ cup of water
- 8–12 hard or soft taco shells (or as many as needed)
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ an iceberg lettuce, finally sliced (or any salad green you have available)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup / 100g of grated cheese
- 1 cup of sour cream or greek yoghurt
Homemade tomato salsa
- 400g/14oz of tinned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of pickling liquid from jalapeño chillies
- ½ green capsicum, finely diced
- 1 pinch of salt
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent.
- Add the meat and brown, then add the coriander, cumin, salt, tomato paste/concentrate and water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes or more. The meat mix should be quite dry.
- Make the salsa, place the ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Leave aside to cool.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven and heat tacos as per packet instructions.
- Prepare all the other ingredients and place in bowls in the centre of the table.
- When tacos are heated through, serve immediately.
- Freeze any leftover tomato salsa for next time in a zip lock bag or freezer-proof container.
Making your own taco mix and tomato salsa helps control the ingredients. The taste is great, and means you can avoid the preservatives of the packet mixes.