These thai-inspired fish cakes are a great way of incorporating fish into the evening meals. The basa fillets, which are widely available in supermarkets, work well with this recipe.
Prep: 20 mins
- 600g / 1¼ lb of white fish fillets, skin and bones removed (basa works well)
- 1 tbsp of red curry paste
- 120g / 4oz of green beans, finely sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp of caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of fish sauce
- vegetable oil
- vegetables or salad of your choice
- rice of your choice, steamed
- 1 tsp / 5ml of light soy sauce
- ¼ cup / 60ml of white vinegar
- 2 tbsp of caster (superfine sugar)
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of water
- 1 eschalot (shallot), finely sliced
- ½ lebanese / persian cucumber, diced
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, matchsticks
- 4 sprigs of fresh coriander / cilantro, picked & washed
- Preheat oven to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3.
- For the fish cakes, mix the fish and curry paste in the food processor until the mix becomes a smooth paste (dice fish to fit in your processor if required). Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the beans, kaffir lime leaves, sugar and fish sauce.
- Mix thoroughly then mould into patties (wet hands help make the patties smooth).
- To make the dipping sauce, place the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water in a small pot and and heat over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Place the eschalot/shallots, cucumber, ginger and fresh coriander/cilantro leaves in a bowl.
- When the liquid has cooled, pour it over the cucumber mix. Stir and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a few drops of oil. Lightly brown the fish cakes on each side and transfer to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 5–8 minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauce, and veggies or salad and steamed rice if wanting a larger meal.
If you haven’t got time to make the dipping sauce, serve with sweet chilli sauce instead.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for iPhone and iPad here.