A great hamburger recipe that the whole family will enjoy. Make double the amount of burger mixture, form into patties and then freeze for another night. Cooking the onion and garlic first (if you have time) gives them a better taste.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
- 600g of lean beef mince (or pork and veal mince)
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 5 springs of parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp of salt (iodised)
- olive oil spray
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce leaves of your choice
- sliced cheese
- tomato sauce
- 4 large or 8 small bread rolls / hamburger buns
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic on a low heat. Do not brown. Add a little water if the onions begin to stick. Set aside to cool.
- Place remaining ingredients (mince, breadcrumbs, mustard, sauce, parsley, egg, salt and pepper) into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the cooled onion and garlic mix, and use your hands to mix to a form a pasty consistency.
- Form into patties to match the size of the bread roll.
- Heat the barbecue or a large frying pan on your stove to medium to high.
- Cook meat patties for 5 minutes on each side. You may need to lower the heat down if they are browning too fast.
- Remove from the heat, cover with foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut each of the bread rolls in half. Assemble meat patty, sliced cheese, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise and sauce in whichever order you prefer.
- Serve immediately.
Use gluten free breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce and buns to make these hamburgers coeliac-friendly.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
The PlanBuyCook app has loads of great dinner recipes. Download the app for iPhone and iPad at www.appstore.com/planbuycook