Homemade baked beans are a great source of fibre and are low GI – and as an added bonus give you at least two serves of veggies for the day. You’ll never eat tinned baked beans again after trying these. Make them in a big batch and freeze them for a perfect brunch or emergency Sunday night meal. Also great with a poached egg. A great gluten-free meal or snack.
HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 60 mins
- 20ml/1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- ½ green capsicum/green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp of sweet paprika ground
- 1 x 400g / 15oz canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g / 15oz canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g / 1 x 28oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- a pinch of caster sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- crusty bread, toasted (use gluten-free bread for coeliacs)
- In a wide-based saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes, adding a little water to stop them from browning.
- Add the capsicum/green pepper and paprika and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve on toast.