For pizzas, pasta, vegetarian lasagne – look no further than this versatile recipe. Napoletana or napolitana? However you spell it, this sauce tastes great.
BASIC NAPOLITANA SAUCE
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- ¼ cup (60ml) of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 400g / 14 oz of tinned (canned) diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a pinch of caster sugar
- In a medium saucepan, teat the oil at a low temperature, then add the garlic.
- Cook on a low heat until the garlic is soft but not coloured, then carefully remove the half the garlic from the oil.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20–30 minutes. If using for a pizza base, allow to cook a little longer so it is not too wet on the pizza.
- Remove the basil sprigs once cooked, leaving the leaves in the sauce.
- Use as a great pasta sauce, or the base for pizza, or with vegetarian lasagne.
You can freeze this great sauce. Make double, freeze and use for an emergency dinner when you are time poor.
Run out of dinner ideas? PlanBuyCook has got you covered. Check out the meal planning app here.
Need the tools get started with meal planning. Join our FREE Dinner Done Challenge and you’ll become a meal planning hero in no time. What are you waiting for?