This Lebanese-inspired dish of poached chicken with lamb mince is a popular dish at home. It is great served with a simple salad of mixed greens, or you can add some steamed veg in winter.
POACHED CHICKEN WITH LAMB RICE
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 2 tbsp of almond slivers
- 1 litre / 2 pints of chicken stock
- 200g of chicken breast
- 1 tbsp/20ml of olive oil
- 1 brown/yellow onion, finely diced
- 150g of lamb mince
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of cinnamon ground
- 4 sprigs of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp of currants
- 1 tbsp of natural yoghurt/yogurt
- mixed salad leaves
- Preheat oven to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3 and lightly toast the almonds for 10–15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock to the boil then add chicken breast. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave the chicken in the pot until serving.
- Heat oil in a wide-based saucepan, and cook onion for a few minutes. Add a little of the poaching liquid to moisten and prevent onion from sticking.
- Add lamb and stir continuously to break up any chunks. When the lamb is browned, add salt, cinnamon and parsley and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add rice to the lamb mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add some of the poaching liquid – check the absorption method quantities on the packet and match (generally 1 cup of uncooked rice to 300ml / just over 1 cup of liquid) as some rice varieties require more liquid. If you need more, use boiling water from the kettle.
- Bring to the boil and place a lid on top and simmer on a very low heat for 12 minutes.
- Then turn off heat (leaving the lid on) and let stand for 5–10 minutes.
- To serve, mix the currants and the almonds through the rice. Slice chicken breast and place on top of rice. Serve with yoghurt/yogurt on the side and salad.
You can add grated garlic to the yoghurt for more flavour.
Get the PlanBuyCook app for great family recipe ideas. Available for iPhone and iPad here.