A curry is such a warming winter meal, and this red vegetable curry is easy to prepare. You can dial up or down the heat with the amount of curry paste you use. If you tinker with the curry paste, check the balance is right at the end by adjusting the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.
RED VEGETABLE CURRY
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hour
- 400ml / 14fl oz of coconut milk
- 2 tsp of red curry paste (preferred brand Masi)
- 250ml / 1 cup of water
- 800g / 1½ lb of sweet potato (yam), large diced
- 200g / 6oz of green beans, tailed
- 1 bunch of broccolini, cut in half (across the stem). Use both ends.
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 20ml / 1 tbsp of fish sauce (omit if vegetarian)
- 10ml / 2 tsp of lime juice
- steamed jasmine rice
- 50g of white bean sprouts
- 1 bunch of thai basil, picked and washed
- 1 long red finger-sized chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring the coconut milk to the boil. Cook for about 5 minutes until it separates, then add the curry paste and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and the sweet potato/yam and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add the green beans, broccolini, sugar, fish sauce (if using) and lime juice, and return to the boil and then simmer until the green vegetables are cooked to your liking (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with steamed rice, and sprinkle with sprouts, basil and chilli.