Steamed chicken wontons look far more complicated to make than they are. Mixing the filling takes moments, and then it is just a matter of assembling the wontons ready for steaming. These chicken wontons are great served with steamed rice, and make a fabulous meal to enlist the aid of the little people in the house.
STEAMED CHICKEN WONTONS
- 500g / 1 lb of chicken mince (ground chicken or turkey)
- 2 spring onions/scallions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 10ml / 2 tsp of soy sauce
- a pinch of white pepper
- 180g / 6oz of wonton wrappers (square)
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of malt vinegar
- ¼ tsp of hot chilli sauce (sriracha)
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of water
- rice of your choice, steamed
- Mix the chicken, [spring onion|scallions], ginger, soy and white pepper in a bowl.
- Lay about six wonton wrappers on the bench and place a teaspoon of mix on each.
- Using your finger, brush a little water around the edges of the wonton wrapper and bring the diagonally opposite corners together and pinch edges together with your fingers.
- Repeat the process until all the mix is used. Adjust the seasoning if required. If doubling the recipe, freeze half the uncooked wontons on a tray and then transfer to a container or snap lock bag once frozen for later use.
- Heat a non-stick frypan and place a piece of baking paper in the bottom of the pan. Place wontons on top of the baking paper and add boiling water to the pan until they are half covered with water. You will need to cook them in batches if using a smaller frypan.
- Reduce to a medium heat, put a lid on the pan and steam for 10–15 minutes.
- If serving with rice, cook rice as per packet instructions.
- Make the dipping sauce by combining soy, vinegar, chilli sauce and water in a small bowl.
- Serve as a snack with the dipping sauce, or as a meal with steamed rice and asian green vegetables or salad.
The wontons can be assembled raw and frozen. Kids love joining in to help on this recipe.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, which includes more than 130 great-tasting recipes everyone will enjoy. Scale all meals to match your household, from 1–10 serves. Available for iPhone and iPad here.