Muffins are perfect for eating on the day and also freezing. These berry muffins are so quick to make, they can even be made before school if you are short on lunchbox fillers. Use frozen berries, they don’t even require defrosting before cooking. Enjoy.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
Makes: 6 large or 12 small muffins
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of milk
- 1½ cups of berries of your choice (raspberries and blueberries work well – frozen is fine)
- 2 teaspoons of raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/325˚F/Gas mark 4. Place muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and milk.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour, mix gently, then fold through the berries.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin cases, filling them to ¾ full.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar, the place in the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes. If using frozen berries, you might need to add another 5 minutes to the cooking time as they cool the mixture down.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand in muffin tin for 5 minutes, before placing on a cooling rack.