Get your kids to make their own bircher muesli. They do the prep the night before, and you get to sleep in as they feed themselves breakfast. Perfect for a weekend morning.
We like to use old jam jars as you add all the ingredients, cover with a lid then leave them to sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning, the kids just stir through and then eat away to their hearts’ content. It is a great spring replacement for porridge. The kids can choose their favourite flavours (see some suggestions below).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: overnight sitting in fridge
Ingredients per person
- 50g of rolled oats
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 50–100ml of apple juice (50ml will give you a thicker consistency)
- ½ apple, grated
- 10g of sultanas (optional)
- 60g of yoghurt
- ¼ tsp of honey
- Use frozen berries instead of apple
- Replace honey with brown sugar if you prefer
- Toasted almonds, pistachio nuts or sunflower seeds, or dried apricots and hazelnuts.
- Place the oats in the bottom of a jar or plastic container.
- Add the cinnamon, then pour over the apple juice.
- Add the grated apple, sultanas (if using), yoghurt and honey in that order.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir through and eat.
Get the kids in the kitchen with the easy-to-cook recipes in the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available for iPhone and iPad.
Join our FREE Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.