Nothing beats fried rice for a great speedy meal. Most of the ingredients are pantry and fridge staples, and you can even do a fair amount of the prep while the rice is steaming. Great for nights after sporting activities or even as an easy weekend lunch.
EASY FRIED RICE
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 600ml of water
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 tsp of ginger, grated
- 4 rashers of bacon, diced
- 40ml of shao hsing (dry sherry)
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 250g of corn (tinned or frozen)
- 100g of frozen peas
- 80ml of oyster sauce
- Place rice in a pot, add water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes on a very low heat.
- Remove rice from heat and allow to stand for a few minutes without removing the lid as it continues to cook in its own heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan or work, and add half the oil. Beat eggs into the pan and scramble with a rubber spatula. Remove eggs from pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan with some paper towel.
- Using the same pan, heat the other half of the oil and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and bacon until fragrant and the bacon is cooked through. Add a small amount of water to stop it sticking.
- Add the shao hsing (or dry sherry) and the carrots, corn, peas, egg and cooked rice. Stir continuously until heated through (1–2 minutes).
- Add the oyster sauce, stir to combine and serve.
TIP: If reheating in the microwave the next day, add a little water because the rice can be a bit dry when reheated.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get all the know how to make meal planning a breeze. Join here – it is FREE.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for great tasty meals and an auto-generated shopping list. Available for iPhone and iPad here.