Caprese salad is such a simple and fresh dish, it is at home at any barbecue. Serve when tomatoes are at their best during summer. Traditionally with sliced buffalo mozzarella, our modern take on this Italian classic uses bocconcini for an easy, available alternative.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 1 punnet / 400g / 13oz of mixed colourful tomatoes (sometimes called a medley of tomatoes)
- 1 punnet / 250g / 8oz of cherry tomatoes
- 6 balls /200g / 7oz of bocconcini
- 8 sprigs of fresh basil, washed & picked, torn
- sprinkle of balsamic vinegar
- sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Wash and cut the larger tomatoes in quarters and the cherry tomatoes in half and place in a bowl.
- Tear the bocconcini balls into bite-sized pieces, and add to the bowl.
- Add the basil, then toss gently and place on a platter or serving plate.
- Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and serve.
Tomatoes are best served at room temperature. Store large tomatoes in your fruit bowl rather than in the fridge, and take cherry tomatoes out of the fridge a few hours before serving.
Get loads of fresh recipe ideas on the PlanBuyCook meal planning app.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.