Meringues have long been off the menu for vegans or people with egg allergies. But no more, thanks to wonderful properties of aquafaba – cooked chick pea water. With similar properties to egg whites, aquafaba whips up thickly like egg whites to create fantastic meringues. Add some sieved dutch cocoa or cacao and you have the perfect treat for vegans and friends with egg allergies. Also a perfect use of chick pea water when you have made hummus or felafel. This recipe is for our friend Esme who had never tried meringue before.
CACAO VEGAN MERINGUES
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 2 hours + cooling time
Makes: 20 medium meringues
- 400g tin/can of chick peas, drained to retain the liquid (approx 200ml/¾ of a cup of cooked chick pea water/aquafaba)
- 1 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tsp of cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tsp of white vinegar
- ½ tsp of vanilla essence
- 2–4 tbsp of dutch cocoa or cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 110ºC/200ºF/Gas mark ½.
- Beat the chick pea liquid (aquafaba) on a slow speed in a stand mixer with the balloon whisk attachment until it becomes frothy.
- Turn up the speed to high, and beat for 4–5 minutes until quite thick.
- Gradually add the sugar, until the sugar dissolves after each addition.
- Add the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and beat for a further meal.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and sieve over the cocoa/cacao.
- Fold through with a flat silicone spatula. Do not overmix as it will take the air out of the meringue.
- Using two large spoons, scoop mix onto trays lined with baking/parchment paper, allowing space between them to spread.
- Bake in the oven for 1 and a half hours.
- Turn the oven off, open the door slightly, and leave to cool for another hour before serving.
Store them in an airtight container as they tend to collapse in humid/warm air.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Looking to add novelty to your cooking? Try the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for more than 130 great dinner and snack ideas.