Chicken hokkien noodles require a bit of prep, but they are super fast to cook. You can substitute tofu for the chicken if you prefer. A great all-in-one fast & fresh wok meal.
CHICKEN HOKKIEN NOODLES
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 500g / 1 lb of hokkien noodles
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of sweet chilli sauce
- 3 tbsp / 60ml of tomato sauce / ketchup
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of water
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 1 tbsp / 20g of sambal oelek
- 400g / 14oz of chicken breast, diced
- 250g / 9 oz of green beans, halved
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red capsicum / red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp of crispy fried shallots / onions
- 1 lime, quartered
- Place noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes then strain.
- Mix sweet chilli sauce, tomato sauce/ketchup, soy and water in a bowl or jug and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a wok or frying pan. Add beaten eggs and stir until just scrambled. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add sambal oelek and diced chicken, tossing constantly over a high heat until the chicken is cooked.
- Add green beans, carrot and capsicum/red pepper and fry for 2 minutes. Add an extra tablespoon of water to aid the cooking process and stop the food from sticking.
- Add the drained noodles to the wok or pan, then the sauce mixture and egg. Toss together on a high heat until heated through.
- Sprinkle with crispy fried shallots/onions, and serve immediately with lime wedges.
Try diced firm tofu as an alternative to the chicken. Add more veggies if you’d like.