If you want a showstopper dessert, look no further than this amazing chocolate hazelnut semifreddo. You can make it up to a week in advance, and simply store in the freezer until ready to serve. A guaranteed hit.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SEMIFREDDO
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hour plus chilling overnight
- 70g/2oz of roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 40g/1oz of almond meal
- 125g/4oz of pure icing sugar, sifted
- 2 Ttsp Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 2 egg whites
- 50g/1.8oz of caster sugar
- 130g/4oz of dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp of Frangelico (optional)
- 100ml of thickened cream
- 70g/2.5oz of sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 120g/4oz caster sugar
- Mixed fresh berries
- Dutch cocoa, for sprinkiling
- A handful of roasted hazelnuts, extra
- Preheat oven to 160oC fan force/Gas mark3/ 320F
- Line a loaf tin with two layers of cling film, ensure that the cling film hangs over the tin.
- Line a baking sheet with baking/parchment paper.
- Combine the almond meal, chopped hazelnuts and sifted icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Then gradually add in the caster sugar until firm and glossy. By hand, gently fold the nut and sugar mixture into the meringue, being careful not to overmix.
- Spread the mixture over the baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- When the meringue is crisp on top and still soft in the centre, remove from the oven. Slide the baking/parchment paper with meringue off the hot tray on to a wire rack. Place a second piece of baking/parchment paper on top of the crisp side of the meringue, then place a tray on top to flip.
- Peel the baking/parchment paper off the underside of the meringue, being careful not to crack it. When cool, cut to rectangular pieces the size of the loaf tin.
For Semi freddo
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl over simmering water, ensuring the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form, add the sour cream and whip until firm, set aside.
- Whisk the eggwhites until soft peaks form, then gradually add sugar until thick and glossy. Fold the chocolate mixture into the eggwhites, then fold in the cream mixture.
- Pour the semi freddo mixture into the prepared tin, tap the loaf tin on the bench to remove any air bubbles.
- Place both pieces of cut meringue base together on top of the semi freddo, fold the cling film over the semi freddo, cover the top in tin foil and freeze overnight.
- Remove from loaf tin, peel off the cling film and place on a platter.
- Sprinkle with sifted Dutch cocoa, then top with berries and extra roasted hazelnuts.
- Use a hot knife to slice cleanly and serve on plates.