These tasty little caramelised onion and goats’ cheese tarts are a perfect appetiser. Great savoury dish to take to someone’s house or serve at home. You can caramelise the onions well in advance and freeze them, or even cheat a little by buying them at the supermarket in a jar.
CARAMELISED ONION & GOATS’ CHEESE TARTS
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Makes: 16 tarts
- 3 brown/yellow onions, peeled and sliced sliced
- 2 tbsp/40ml of olive oil
- 1 sheet of butter puff pastry
- 200g/7oz of soft goats’ cheese
- 4 sprigs of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan and add the sliced onions and pinch of salt cook over a medium heat until golden brown adds a little water to help them soften and not burn if they begin to get to brown before becoming soft. About 40 minutes. The onions need to be quite dry so as not to make pastry soggy. This step can be done 2 days before or a week before and stored frozen until required.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/390ºF/Gas mark 6.
- Using a 5cm/2.5″ cutter, cut 16 rounds out of the sheet of pastry.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with baking/parchment paper.
- Top with a teaspoon of onion then bake for 10 minutes, or until pastry is golden on the edges.
- Remove from oven, top with a teaspoon of goats’ cheese and put back in the oven for 5 minutes to warm the cheese.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and transfer to serving platter. They can be served warm or at room temperature as required.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for iPhone and iPad.