A turkey breast is a great option for smaller family gatherings at Christmas, rather than cooking the full bird. Ask the butcher or chicken supplier for a single breast with wing and skin on. It will be about 2kg/4lb. Using a meat thermometer is the most accurate way to cook it to perfection. It needs to reach about 65ºC/150ºF before removing from oven and resting.
ROAST TURKEY BREAST WITH CRANBERRY STUFFING
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 2.5 hours
- 100g/3.5oz butter
- 1 brown/yellow onion, diced
- 1 cloves garlic
- 100g/3.5oz bacon
- 125g/4 oz breadcrumbs
- 10 leaves of sage, chopped
- 10 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 50g/2oz dried cranberries
- salt & pepper
- 2kg/4lb turkey breast with wing bone (not a turkey buffet which is 2 breasts on the cage)
- 2 brown/yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 litre of chicken stock, heated
- ½ cup of olive oil
- To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a saucepan and sweat the onions and garlic for a few minute add the bacon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Take of the heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs sage, parsley, cranberries and add the butter onion, bacon mix and adjust the seasonings. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Put a spoon up under the skin near the wing and separate the skin from the flesh to create a pocket.
- Now put the stuffing in the pocket between the skin and the flesh, being careful not to make a hole in the skin. Use the handle of the spoon to push the stuffing down towards the pointy end of the breast. Generously salt the breast on skin and flesh side.
- Place the onion, carrots and celery in a large roasting pan, then place the turkey on top. Pour hot chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Then pour oil over turkey breast.
- Turn the temp in the oven down to 160ºC /325ºF/Gas mark 3.
- Cover the turkey breast with baking/parchment paper, then foil, and cook for 1 – 1.5 hours.
- After1–1.5 hours remove paper and foil, and check core temp with thermometer. It should be 65ºC/150ºF. Allow skin to brown and remove from oven and cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a chopping board, and carve slices from the tip of the breast to the wing. Serve with cranberry sauce.
Make the stuffing the day before to save time.
Need some gift inspiration? Look no further than the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, to get dinner done all year. Available now for iPhone and iPad.