This coconut noodle soup is the simplest of soups that can be made in minutes. You can use any vegetables you like, replace the noodles with rice and even add any leftover meat to the dish if tofu is not your thing. Served as is, it is gluten free and tasty. Sub in soy sauce for the fish sauce for a great vegan meal.
COCONUT NOODLE SOUP
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 270ml of coconut cream
- 2–5 teaspoons red curry paste, depending on heat preference
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) of water
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of lime juice
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 100g of vermicelli rice noodles
- 400g / 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets and stalk trimmed and chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 250g of semi-firm tofu, cubed
- 4 sprigs of thai basil, picked & washed
- 1 red finger chilli, sliced (optional)
- Take 2 tablespoons of the thick part of the coconut cream from the top of the can/tin, and heat in a large saucepan on a medium heat until the oil splits from the milk. Then add the curry paste (according to taste) and fry for 2 minutes until fragrant. This allows the curry paste to cook out without burning.
- Add the remaining coconut cream to the saucepan, and cook for 5–10 minutes. Add the water, bring to the boil and then simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar and bring back to the boil. Adjust the seasoning to make it to your taste and to balance the sweet, sour, salty and spice.
- While the broth is heating, bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the vermicelli rice noodles as per packet instructions (about 4 minutes total). Add the broccoli into the pot in the last two minutes. Strain and place in the serving bowls.
- Place the carrot, tofu, thai basil and chilli (if using) on top of the noodles and broccoli.
- Pour over the hot broth and serve immediately.
Great with any vegetables or leftover meat. Or replace fish sauce with soy sauce for a vegetarian meal.