Nothing beats chicken soup when you are feeling a little poorly. It is also a great reviver when the weather turns cool.
FEELGOOD CHICKEN SOUP
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: Up to 2 hours
- 1kg / 2lbs of chicken bones
- 3 carrots, whole and peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley
- water (about 2 litres)
- 20g angel hair pasta (or similar)
- 4 tbsp grated grano padano (parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas mark 4–5.
- Place the bones in a roasting tray and roast for 40 mins or until golden. You can skip this step but it does give the soup a lovely colour.
- In a large saucepan place the bones, carrots, onion, celery, parsley and cover with water (about 2 litres).
- Also scrap any pan juices from the roasting tray into the pot.
- Place on the heat and bring to the boil. Using a ladle or spoon, skim of any scum from the top and simmer the soup for 2 hours.
- You may need to add a little more water during this time.
- Strain the soup into a clean saucepan and using a hand grater grate the cooked carrots and return to the soup.
- Bring the soup back to the boil and add the broken up pieces of pasta and a good pinch of salt and simmer until the pasta is cooked.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese and serve with bread.
If pressed for time, omit steps 1 and 2. Use some chicken stock powder if you would like to boost the flavour.