Making your own crumbed chicken is so easy it is a meal the kids can cook. We like to use chicken thighs as they are lovely and moist, however, you can also use chicken breast fillets. We recommend slicing them through horizontally to cook more evenly.
CRUMBED CHICKEN THIGHS
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 600g of chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs (mix of panko and wholemeal)
- olive oil
- salad or vegetables to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas mark 6.
- Place a sheet of baking/parchment paper on a large baking tray.
- Combine the flour and the salt in one bowl. Place the eggs in a separate bowl next to the flour, and the breadcrumbs on a separate plate.
- Pass the chicken through the flour and then the egg wash.
- Then crumb the thighs on both sides and place on the lined baking tray.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken on both sides, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Serve with salad or vegetables.
If you have time, refrigerate the chicken after step 4 with the flour and egg wash coating for 30 minutes or more. Then coat in breadcrumbs just before you cook. This stops the crumb mixture separating from the meat.