Got some leftover lebanese bread you need to use up? This fattoush salad is the perfect use for it. Made with a few fresh ingredients and chick peas, it works well with any middle eastern dishes or a barbecue. Add some crushed garlic to the olive oil before you cook the bread to add some more flavour.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 lebanese bread
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of olive oil
- ¾ cup natural/greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200g /1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 spring onion (scallion), finely sliced
- ½ cup of flat leaf parsley, picked washed
- ½ cup of fresh mint leaves, picked & washed
- 400g /14oz canned chick peas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp of sumac
- Preheat oven 150ºC / 300ºF / Gas mark 2.
- Put the lebanese bread on a baking tray and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Place in the oven cook until crisp about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt, water & grated garlic, then mix and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, spread some of the yoghurt on a platter then sprinkle with sumac. Add half the chick peas, some cherry tomatoes and diced cucumber. Tear or cut the bread and stack on top of tomatoes and cucumber. Pour over more yoghurt sauce, then scatter the with parsley & mint leaves and spring onions and repeat with remaining ingredients and a final sprinkle of sumac on the top.
Get more great salad ideas plus plenty of main dishes on the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available for iPhone and iPad.