Yet another addition to the lunchbox freezable snacks repertoire, this chocolate hedgehog slice is also perfect for a cake stall. Store in an airtight container, or get it into the freezer early as it is very tempting to eat the lot once it has been made!
CHOCOLATE HEDGEHOG SLICE
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 90 mins
Makes: 16–20 pieces
- 500g / 1 lb of milk arrowroot biscuits (vanilla wafers)
- 2 tbsp of dutch cocoa
- 1 cup of caster/superfine sugar
- 125ml / ½ cup of milk
- ¼ tsp of vanilla essence
- 180g / 6oz of unsalted butter
- 1½ cups of icing sugar mixture/confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp of dutch cocoa, sifted (extra)
- a few drops of water
- Line a 25cm x 25cm (9″ x 9″) baking tin (or equivalent rectangular size) with baking/parchment paper and set aside.
- Crush the biscuits by placing them between two sheets of baking/parchment paper and roll over them with a rolling pin. It is good for them to stay a bit chunky. Place into a bowl.
- Place the 2 tbsp of cocoa, cup of sugar, milk, vanilla essence and 180g of butter into a saucepan together, and heat until the butter has melted. Do not let it boil.
- Pour the mix over the crushed biscuits and combine.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking tin, pressing down firmly, then place in the refrigerator to set for 1 hour.
- Make the icing by combining the icing sugar and cocoa together, Then add enough water to make a nice glossy, spreadable glaze.
- Once slice is chilled, top with icing and return to refrigerator for 30 minutes to set again.
- Slice and then serve, or freeze for lunch boxes during the week.
Get more great freezable lunchbox snack ideas from the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available now for iPhone and iPad.