These fluffy pancakes are great for a weekend breakfast. Sprinkle with sugar and lemon, or serve with maple syrup, jam, stewed cinnamon apple, or for a real treat, hazelnut spread. The kids love flipping them too.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 30g of butter, melted
- extra butter for cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
- Mix the egg, milk and melted butter together in a small jug.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, and pour the milk mixture into it.
- Using a whisk, slowly combine the ingredients to form a batter.
- Leave mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium to high heat, and add a knob of butter to coat the base of the pan.
- Use a measuring cup or similar, pour mixture into the pan to the size of pancakes you prefer.
- Cook for 1–2 minutes, until the bubbles start to pop on the top of the pikelets.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for a further minute on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Add additional butter to the pan if desired and repeat until all mixture is used up.
- Serve with your favourite topping.
The trick to avoid lumps is to slowly combine the mixture in step 4. If mixture is a little thick, add some extra milk before cooking. Don’t overbeat the mix otherwise the pancakes will be tough.
Get great meal ideas from the PlanBuyCook meal planning app. You can even add your own recipes, which will automatically be added to the planner and shopping list.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.