Keep your pantry well stocked with some great basics for simple pantry meals. A pantry meal requires few or no fresh ingredients. By planning one pantry meal each week, you can always delay it if plans change without any fresh food wastage. Here is our quick list of things to keep in the pantry and great quick meal ideas.
At PlanBuyCook, we call a pantry meal one that doesn’t require many/any fresh ingredients. Sometimes you haven’t made it to the supermarket when you intended to, or have some extra people to cater for unexpectedly. Where possible, plan for one pantry meal each week just in case.
PANTRY STAPLES FOR QUICK MEALS
- diced/whole tinned tomatoes
- tinned (canned) chick peas, red kidney beans, cannellini beans, lentils
- tuna, sardines and anchovies in oil
- tomato passata (purée)
- tomato paste (concentrate)
- rice and noodles
- eschalots (French shallots)
- ground coriander, cumin, garam masala, paprika
Great pantry meals on the PlanBuyCook blog: