This fried vermicelli noodle recipe is a great way to use up leftover vegetables from the refrigerator at the end of the week. Ready in minutes, it is a super economical vegetarian dish that is perfect for a night when you are time poor. Look out: it will become your go-to quick dinner very soon.
FRIED VERMICILLI NOODLES
- ¼ tsp of turmeric ground
- 2 tbsp/40ml of light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp/40ml of water
- 2 tbsp/40ml sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 240g/8oz of dried vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp sambal oelek or red curry paste
- 2 spring onions/scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp of ginger finely grated
- 1 bunch of broccolini, cut into batons (or any leftover veg from the refrigerator)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 red or green capsicum/pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp of chopped peanuts (optional)
- Mix together the turmeric, soy sauce, water and sweet soy (kecap manis) and set aside.
- Cook noodles as per packet instructions. Strain in a colander and refresh under cold water.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok, then add half the oil. Add the eggs then move them continuously with a spatula until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Clean the pan or wok and heat the remaining oil. Add sambal oelek, white of the spring onions (scallions) and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Add broccolini, carrots, capsicum (peppers), noodles, and turmeric/soy mix from step 1. Stir continuously until well combined, then add in the cooked egg.
- Sprinkle with green of the spring onion (scallion) and peanuts (if using), and serve immediately.
Use any dried noodles you have in the pantry for this dish. Just follow the packet instructions for cooking them and start at step 3.
Get meal planning with the PlanBuyCook meal planning app. Available at the App Store.