A filling salad can be a great to serve as a meal in itself for lunch, along with a quick green salad and some bread. This haloumi salad is also a perfect accompaniment to a barbecue.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 120 mins (to slow roast the tomatoes)
- 60ml / 0.25 cup of olive oil
- 8 roma tomatoes, cut in thirds lengthways
- salt & pepper
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 250g / 0.5lb of haloumi cheese, cut into 3 pieces and drain on paper towel
- extra olive oil
- 2 cups of basil leaves, washed & picked
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC / 300ºF / Gas mark 2.
- Place the tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine. Then place the tomatoes cut side up on a baking tray line with baking (parchment) paper, and place in the oven to slow roast for 2 hours. Allow to cool in the oven if you have the time.
- Place the sliced onion in the bowl and toss to coat in olive oil. Season with pepper and salt and place on a separate baking tray and cook for 15–20 minutes, or until golden.
- Cut the haloumi into 3 pieces and then drain on paper towel for at least 15 minutes.
- Just before serving the dish, pan fry the haloumi until golden, then transfer to a chopping board and cut into small pieces.
- To serve, combine the tomato, onion, and haloumi in a serving bowl or platter, then tear the basil leaves and toss through.
This salad is best served when the tomato is at room temperature. It is also great the following day reheated.