Paella is a fantastic one-dish meal to make for the family or a gathering. This paella uses prawns and mussels, along with chicken and chorizo. If you don’t have the seafood, it is also fine without it.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 200g of chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 2 tsp of sweet paprika or smoked paprika
- 200g of chorizo, peeled & sliced
- 100g of roasted red capsicum / roasted red peppers
- 2 cups of spanish / short grain rice
- ¼ tsp of salt (iodised)
- 750ml / 3 cups of chicken stock, boiling
- 8 large green prawns
- 12 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- ½ cup of frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tbsp of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large flat paella pan or wide-based saute pan.
- Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the chicken to the pan and brown, then add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chorizo, capsicum/red peppers and cook for 1 minute. Then add the rice and salt then stir until ingredients are combined.
- Add the boiling stock and return to the boil, then cover with a lid or aluminium foil for 15 minutes. Cook on a low heat.
- Remove the lid/cover and stir. Then add the prawns and mussels. Cover again and allow the fish to steam for 5 minutes.
- Allow to stand off the heat but still covered for a further 5 minutes, then stir through the peas and parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Don’t be put off if you don’t have access to good seafood. It is great as a chicken and chorizo paella as well.