Paella is a fantastic one-dish meal to make for the family or a gathering. This paella uses prawns and mussels, along with chicken and chorizo. If you don’t have the seafood, it is also fine without it.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 200g of chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 2 tsp of sweet paprika or smoked paprika
- 200g of chorizo, peeled & sliced
- 100g of roasted red capsicum / roasted red peppers
- 2 cups of spanish / short grain rice
- ¼ tsp of salt (iodised)
- 750ml / 3 cups of chicken stock, boiling
- 8 large green prawns
- 12 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- ½ cup of frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tbsp of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large flat paella pan or wide-based saute pan.
- Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the chicken to the pan and brown, then add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chorizo, capsicum/red peppers and cook for 1 minute. Then add the rice and salt then stir until ingredients are combined.
- Add the boiling stock and return to the boil, then cover with a lid or aluminium foil for 15 minutes. Cook on a low heat.
- Remove the lid/cover and stir. Then add the prawns and mussels. Cover again and allow the fish to steam for 5 minutes.
- Allow to stand off the heat but still covered for a further 5 minutes, then stir through the peas and parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Don’t be put off if you don’t have access to good seafood. It is great as a chicken and chorizo paella as well.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Get inspired with fabulous meal ideas and snack recipes using the PlanBuyCook app, available at the App Store.