This simple oven-baked meal is fast and tasty. Use any white fish ling, basa, rockling– but you can’t beat snapper or blue eye if it is available. Serve with green beans and a potato gratin or mash, or a fresh leafy salad if the weather is warmer. Enjoy.
HERB CRUSTED FISH
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 20ml / 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 2 small cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
- 100g / 1 cup of breadcrumbs (panko or wholemeal)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 8 sprigs of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 120ml / 0.5 cup of milk
- 700g of blue eye fish
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- vegetables or salad
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 375ºF / Gas Mark 4.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil and cook the onion and garlic until fragrant – about 5 minutes. You may need to add a little water to help them cook without colouring.
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and milk.
- Add the cooked onion and garlic to the breadcrumb mix, and then season with salt and pepper.
- If you have bought the fish as a fillet, cut into portions of about 170g each.
- Place portions on a baking tray lined with baking (parchment) paper.
- Press the breadcrumb mix on the fish firmly. Put in the oven and cook for about 7–10 minutes until golden on top. Any extra breadcrumbs can be toasted in the oven at the same time and added to side vegetables.
- Turn oven to grill mode and continue cooking until the crumbs turn a golden colour – about 3–5 minutes. Stay with it to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Serve with vegetables or salad of your choosing. It is great with mashed potato and green beans.
Salsa verde works really well with this dish. The recipe is on the app.