This iceberg and melon salad is the perfect summer salad. Super fresh, it is great as an accompaniment to any Asian-inspired meal.
ICEBERG AND MELON SALAD
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp of sichuan pepper corns (available at Asian specialty shops)
- ½ iceberg lettuce, torn in bite sized pieces
- ½ honeydew melon, peeled, deseeded and cut into thin slices
- 1 stick of celery, sliced on a diagonal
- 1 tsp of pickled pink ginger (from Asian specialty shops)
- 1 spring onion/scallion, finely sliced
- 8 sprigs of fresh coriander/cilantro, picked & washed
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint, torn
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of olive oil
- 1 tsp / 5ml of sesame oil
- In a dry frypan, fry the Sichuan pepper until fragrant. Then grind the pepper corns until fine in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Set aside.
- Put the torn lettuce, sliced melon, sliced celery, coriander/cilantro leaves, sliced spring onion/scallion and pickled ginger in the bowl. Add the dressing, and combine arrange on a serving plate.
Great with an Asian poached chicken dish or any Asian-inspired meal.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for great everyday food. Available for iPhone and iPad here.