Continuing our theme of fab summer salads, here is a great recipe for a Mexican corn salad. It is on high rotation at Jen’s house over the barbecue season – enjoy.
MEXICAN CORN SALAD
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 4 cobs of corn
- 4 ripe roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 green capsicum/pepper diced
- 2 avocados
- 12 sprigs of fresh coriander/cilantro
- 1 baby cos lettuce/Romania, washed and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of olive oil
- ½ tsp of chipotle powder *
- Remove the husk from the corn and place in a pot of salted boiling water. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Then drain and cool.
- When cooked corn is cool enough to handle, slice kernels in slabs from the cob (see photo) and place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, green capsicum/pepper, and half the coriander/cilantro leaves
- Slice the avocado (or mash the avocado with juice of half a lime) and add some chopped coriander/cilantro and stir through.
- To make the dressing, combine juice of ½ a lime the olive oil and chipotle powder and whisk
- To assemble salad, place the chopped lettuce on a platter then the tomato, capsicum and corn mix drizzle with dressing and then put the avocado on top and extra coriander/cilantro leaves on top and serve.