If you’d like an alternative to a mayonnaise-based potato salad, think about this Italian-inspired option. It uses a simple dressing and can be assembled in minutes. Cook the potatoes in advance, refrigerate until the morning you are serving it, then toss them briefly in boiled water to warm before serving so the dressing absorbs nicely. For a vegan alternative, pump up the capers and omit the anchovies.
ITALIAN POTATO SALAD
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 600g of chat potatoes
- ½ eschalot (French shallot)
- 2 tsp of capers, rinsed
- 2 anchovy fillets, smashed (omit for vegetarians/vegans)
- 6 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt (iodised)
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan. Cover with salted cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, until tender (about 25 minutes).
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl to make the dressing.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, cut each into quarters (or halves for smaller ones), then add them to the dressing mix. The potatoes should be hot to absorb all the dressing.
- Check for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if required. Serve at room temperature.
Vegetarians and vegans can omit the anchovies and add a few more capers if required.
The PlanBuyCook meal planning app can be gifted via email. Watch the how-to video for gifting from your phone.