This super quick lentil and bean salad involves a few pantry staples and some fresh greens, and is a substantial salad that can be served as a stand-alone meal for lunch. Use either kidney beans or borlotti beans – whichever you have in the pantry.
LENTIL & BEAN SALAD
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 5 mins
Serves: 4 as a side
- 1 cup of greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp of cumin ground
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 eschalot, finely diced
- 400g of tinned brown lentils, drained & rinsed
- 400g of tinned kidney or borlotti beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 cup of rocket
- 1 spring onion, green part only, finely sliced
- 8 sprigs of mint
- Make the dressing by combining the yoghurt, cumin and honey in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then stir through the dressing when ready to serve.
For extra flavour, replace the ground cumin in the dressing with ground roasted cumin seeds. Roast the seeds in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until fragrant then grind in a mortar and pestle.