Yoghurt and tomato paste may sound like an unusual combination, but they work really well together with this selection of spices. You can use chicken, lamb or beef with this recipe (see tip below).
NEPALESE YOGHURT SKEWERS
Prep: 10 mins (+ marinating time)
Cook: 20 mins
- ½ onion
- ½ tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 2 tsp of cumin ground
- 2 tsp of coriander ground
- 1 tsp of cracked black pepper
- ¼ tsp of turmeric ground
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg, grated
- ½ cup of natural / Greek / plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp / 50 g of tomato paste
- 600g / 1lb 4 oz of meat of your choice, diced
- bamboo skewers
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes.
- Purée the onion in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients (except meat) and blend to form a paste.
- Pour the marinade onto the meat, and mix thoroughly.
- Place several cubes of meat onto each skewer, then refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight if possible.
- When ready to cook, heat the barbecue to a medium to high heat, then cook for 10–20 minutes until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from heat, place on a baking tray or plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and mint yoghurt, or naan bread.
Lamb can be expensive, and lamb shoulder or leg can be a little tough for this quick cooking recipe. Try chicken or beef as cheaper alternatives to lamb fillets.
Get meal planning with the PlanBuyCook meal planning app. Available at the App Store.
Join our FREE Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.