Panzanella is a great salad to use up any leftover ciabatta, sourdough or crusty bread. It goes really well with any barbecued meats, and is one of the simplest salads to assemble. It tastes best when tomatoes are at their finest, in late summer, early autumn/fall.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 100g of day old/stale bread, crusts removed
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ an eschalot, finely sliced
- 6 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ green capsicum (green pepper), roughly chopped
- ½ yellow capsicum (yellow pepper), roughly chopped
- 1 tsp of baby capers, rinsed
- 4 sprigs of flat leaf parsley, picked and washed
- 4 sprigs of fresh basil, picked and washed
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 60ml / 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Press the garlic clove with the back of a knife, and then break in half and rub the bread with the garlic.
- In a large bowl, place all the ingredients and toss together then serve.